Gifts for gardeners sometimes come in duller colors. The useful, earth-kind products described below are all have a special gleam of their own, having been invented, made, or packaged in Connecticut, notably free from gnarly supply chain woes. The products include the following:
- Wiggle Room earthworm castings, courtesy of 800,000 red wigglers in Bridgeport
- Cow Pots, plastic-free plant containers from Freund Family Farm in Canaan
- Green Envy, decorative top-dressing that doubles as a soil amendment, made in Middlebury
- City Garden is a veggie garden in a box from FibreDust LLC of Cromwell. Phone them at 860-597-3844.
- Connecticut Gardener Magazine is written by local experts about local gardens, suppliers, and conditions
If you like to buy from locals, don't forget about our well-established regional seed suppliers, too: Kitchen Garden Seed in Bantam, Hart Seed in Wethersfield, NE Seed in East Hartford, and Select Seeds in Union. (Also, read about the much newer Eco59.com.)
This article appeared during the December 2021 gift season. For complete text, visit Zip06/TheDay.
|Green Envy is both a topdressing and a soil amendment.||Connecticut Gardener Magazine is written by and for regional gardeners.|